Students at UC Berkeley are outraged at the recent passage of Arizona’s SB1070, a bill that legalizes racial profiling and targets migrant communities. As privileged students who have access to the university but remain grounded in our roots and our past it is our duty to continue building on the movement to defend the right of all migrant peoples. Migration is a human right!
We are guided by the spirit of past movements (from Cesar Chavez, to the American Indian Movement, to the Black Panthers and twLF). We are committed to do a hunger strike until our demands are met by Chancellor Birgeneau.
Our demands are the following:
1. Publically denounce Arizona’s SB1070 Law and ask President Yudof and other UC Chancellors to do the same. We urge you to bring this up at tomorrow’s UC system-wide meeting with other Chancellors. Blatantly racist and xenophobic laws run counter to the values of the UC education system.
2. Make UC Berkeley a Sanctuary Campus and provide extensive protection for undocumented students.
3. Drop all student conduct charges related to protest actions that occurred during the academic year 2009-10.
4. Stop cuts to low-wage workers on campus and stop attacks against union activists; rehire all AFSCME service workers and UPTE union activists and Cal performances employees.
5. Suspend the Student code of conduct and initiate a democratic student-led process to review the code. Those participating in this process should be charged with attending particularly to concerns about students’ due process rights and to free speech considerations. If, through this review, it is determined that a new code can be written in any way that adequately addresses these concerns, a new code should be written by a democratic, student-led body. If not, the student code of conduct should be abolished.
6. Accept responsibility for the violence and escalation of the confrontation surrounding Wheeler Hall on November 20th and December 11th 2009 that resulted in injuries to many students and jeopardized the safety and security of AB540 students. Additionally, commit to using non-violent means of ensuring safety at student demonstrations in the future.
The strike began Monday May 3rd at 12pm. It will continue until Chancellor Birgeneau responds. We are located in front of California Hall and we are asking for your support and presence.
There will be rallies every night at 7pm and a spiritual mass every morning at 11am. We also intend on camping out every night outside of California Hall.
We need all communities to come together. Please invite everyone you know by sending a text, calling, e-mailing or word of mouth. The time to act is now! We will not remain silent and we will defend the lives of our parents, our siblings, and all our relatives.
For more info call
Mayra (323) 394-2484
Lucy (510) 827-8238
Michael (530) 304-9381
Magali (805) 722-5827
Douglas (281) 745-4904
Leti (559) 289-9410
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114079228632152&v=info